The Epilepsy Support Group
The Epilepsy Support Group

Raising Awareness Through The Sharing Of Information

You are not connected. Please login or register

My experience with pregnancy and Depakine

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 My experience with pregnancy and Depakine on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:33 pm

dalia135

I have been on Depakine for almost 15 years, and it has been very effective at controlling my seizures. I have been seizure-free since I've started using it. I used to take two 200mg tablets a day before I got pregnant and when my OB/GYN knew I was on Depakine he told me to get back to my neurologist and ask if it was possible to change the drug to Tegretol. However my neurologist said it was better not to switch drugs especially since we didnt know how my body would respond to the change, and pregnancy was not the time to take such a risk. So I continued using Depakine, and only lowered the dosage to one 200mg tablet a day. I also increased my daily folic acid intake. I did a 4D ultrasound when I was around 18 weeks pregnant to make sure the baby was fine and was not affected in any way. Everything was OK, and my pregnancy went perfectly, and the lowered Depakine dose did not harm me in any way. I had a C-setion 10 days before my due date because my OB/GYN was worried that normal delivery contractions and stress would trigger a seizure. I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, and she is almost one year old now. I breastfed her for 3 months, and again my neurologist assured me Depakine was not harmful during breastfeeding. I hope anyone wondering about the effects of Depakine on pregnancy would find my post useful.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum